St. Peter Claver Catholic Church

Manning Architects assisted in the renovations of St. Peter Claver Catholic Church after it was damaged during Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The building received twenty-four feet of flood water.

Manning Architects used a highly hand-crafted detailing approach in the balcony design, combined with a contemporary glass wall that forms a narthex at the rear of the church. The Adinkra custom glass symbols represent the history associated with St. Peter Claver, who is the patron saint of slaves and African people due to his life-long commitment to empowering and helping African-Americans. In 1920 the Josephite Fathers bought the church and dedicated it to St. Peter Claver, since then, the church has been a symbol of strength and resilience within the community.

client/owner:

Parish of St. Peter Claver, Catholic Archdiocese
of New Orleans
New Orleans, LA

completion:

$800,000
2,000 sf
2007

our role:

Design Architect and field coordination of artist and artisans contributing to the design